Friday, July 11, 2014

The Sweet Spot by Stephanie Evanovich (2014)

One of the free Advanced Reader Edition books I picked up at ALA. It was a mad rush when the exhibits opened up, so I didn't pay much attention. I occasionally like the humor of Janet Evanovich and didn't notice this was Stephanie not Janet. A lot edgier and with less humor.

Amanda Cole runs her own restaurant Cold Creek in I believe it was Hoboken, NJ - anyway, just across from NYC. Her mother is the Essex County DA - the county I grew up in, so I liked the few New Jersey references. Amanda enjoys being busy, a good manager, talking with her guests and she has loyal employees. All is well until a smarmy agent comes in to make dinner reservations for some big superstar. Turns out the superstar is Chase Walker, a famous baseball player. He is intrigued by Amanda, hangs out at her restaurant for weeks after his games until she says yes for a date. They hit it off, she is still a strong business owner, but then things get weird, and paparazzi get involved, but everyone lives happily ever after. Not quite my cup of tea.

Almost every book makes me think about something. Since I do not follow sports, I guess I don't see the allure of a sports star. I am trying to think of one baseball star I would recognize. I don't think I could recognize Derek Jeter in a line up, and he is from my area. I would recognize a few Olympic stars, but no one from football, basketball, hockey - the big sports.

No comments: