Saturday, July 05, 2014

A Plague of Unicorns by Jane Yolen (2014)

I picked up this advanced reading copy for free at the American Library Association conference exhibits, because I tend to like Jane Yolen books. Plus, I went through a phase of liking everything to do with unicorns, even used one as a symbol for my bookstore in Logan, Ohio many years ago.

An abbey's orchard is beset by a plague of unicorns, that eat up all the golden apples that make the best cider. The monks and heroes cannot get rid of them. James is a precocious boy who asks so many questions, that everyone around him get tired of them - except his sister. Finally he gets sent to the abbey where he learns Latin and writing and helps them solve their unicorn problem. Fine, simple young, young adult book. Interesting to read an advanced copy, with a few typos (thought those have been creeping into printed books too) and at least in one place a few paragraphs were repeated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maira,
I need some book group suggestions and thought of your blog. Glad I did!!!
~Lib