Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Giver by Lois Lowery (1993)

Since I just saw Lois Lowery discuss her award winning book at the American Library Association conference, and a movie is coming out on the book, I thought it was time to reread it. It is as good as I remember it and even though I clearly remembered how it ends, I enjoyed watching Jonas becoming more aware how his very regulated and seemingly perfect life was not so perfect. At the beginning of the book he is waiting for his 12th birthday, when he will find out what job he will be assigned to. He gets assigned to train as the next receiver - the keeper of the community's memories.

The session with Lowery and Jeff Bridges, who plays in the movie, explained some things. Lowery grew up in a military family, where they moved a lot and the military was their community. At one point they lived in Japan, where they lived in an American compound that was a gated community. She used to ride her bike out the gate. More similarities with The Giver.

I know there is a sequel that I read when my kid was small, I will have to find it and read it. And see the movie.

No comments: