Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Reader Goddaughter

Since my son does not read, it is good to have a goddaughter that does. She is twelve and had her nose in a book most of the time she was visiting us with her family. She started reading one of her gift books almost as soon as she opened her gift. Last night her family stopped by again on their way back home from Wisconsin, and I found her curled up in my favorite reading chair, reading Mercedes Lackey's book that I had left out for her. It seemed totally appropriate for her, with all those strong women characters, and I liked to see her chuckling in places. When I asked her how she liked Princess Andromeda, she said that her name was from Greek mythology, which they had just been studying. This book is ideal for a reader, so she understands the references to various tales and other writings. When we went to bed, she was about halfway done with the 393 page book, but she said she would stay up to finish it - it would only take her an hour or so. So... my godchild not only loves books, but even reads faster than me! Librarians really need godchildren like this.

No comments: