Saturday, December 05, 2009

Day After Night by Anita Diamant (2009)

I can't remember if I have ever finished a book by Diamant, but I know she writes about historical women. This is an incredible story about four Jewish women, who are at a transition camp in Israel after escaping from Europe after World War II. I had never even thought about this transition stage for anyone other than the Latvian exiles. They each had seen so much, lost so many friends and family, had traumatic escapes, and now, before they could start their new lives in the newly created Israel, they were held at a camp, before being assigned a kibbutz or other assigned role. Each has their own coping mechanism. They are starting to feel alive again and flirting with men. This was deeply touching, sad in ways, but hopeful in others. One of my top books this year.

No comments: