Sunday, September 06, 2009

Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant (2009)

Dunant really researches women in historical times, so this story is set in convent in Italy in 1570. It was difficult to read at times, when noble women had no choice, but to enter a convent, if there wasn't a sufficient dowry for them (usually only one daughter was married off.) But then again, it gave some women opportunities they would never have had outside the convent. One woman had learned medicine next to her father, and was able to continue to heal and experiment further while keeping the convent healthy, as much as possible in those times. Others devoted themselves to music or baking or transcribing books.

The other piece that I had a very hard time listening to were the dogmatic religious statements. I understand that was the understanding at the time, but it still drove me nuts to hear the warped explanations of what God expects of us, and how to become closer to him. I am glad the book started with a listing of the different hours and devotions held to in the convent. That too seemed over the edge to me, until I recently talked to a minister who found a spiritual home in a convent in Germany that continues similar devotional times and found that good for meditating.

The story is about Serafina, who has been put in the convent against her will, and who loves someone on the outside. She is defiant, and only Suora (sister in Italian?) Zuana, the apothocary-medic seems to get through to her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maira:

I am so happy to have found your blog! Not only am I originally from the Kalamazoo area, but I now work for Penguin Group and would love to talk to you about some of our upcoming titles. If you'd be interested in discussing any books for review consideration, please email me at lydia.hirt@us.penguingroup.com.

Best,
Lydia Hirt