Sunday, September 06, 2009

Promises in Death by JD Robb (2009)

I guess I'm giving up on reading these in any kind of order. Missing too many of the recent ones. Nora Roberts writes more books than I can read of hers, so I will stop trying.

I like to keep track of life changes. Eve Dallas and Roark are in a comfortable place in their relationship. Mavis has a baby - and Eve reacts predictably freaked out by the kid. Peabody and McNabb ar living together. There seems to be a new female character from the prosecutors' office. The social thing Eve was avoiding most of the book was a shower for Jean(?), who is marrying Charles, who I remember from previous books as a licenced companion friend of Eve's. The party is a sleep-over at her place and inbetween solving her crime, Eve actually does enjoy herself.

The DB (dead body) is
Amarylis Coltraine, a recently transferred cop and love interest of Morris the ME. I thought I'd get bored of a formulaic approach to the Lt. Dallas mysteries, but this didn't follow patterns I remember. It wasn't a series of bodies, and there was no last fight where Eve almost gets killed and Roark saves her. It was good solid detective work, asking various team members to help out with different aspects, and the climax was actually in the interviewing room. (Maybe we have seen those so much on TV cop shows.)

No comments: