Friday, September 30, 2005

Runaway Mistress by Robyn Carr

I don’t know why I got two romance books in the mail, but there they sat, tempting me. I am embarrassed to admit actually enjoyed this fluff book after it got out of the mode of rich mistress with designer clothes whose main goal in life is to look good for her guy. After the first chapter Jennifer ran away from that life style, shaved her head, wore baggy army pants and got a job in a small town diner. From here I liked the story. The small town characters were nicely done, but things fell together a little too patly for my tastes. The teenage girl she befriends has the same kind of childhood as she had, so Jennifer can help a lot. When the nasty rich ex-boyfriend comes looking for her, her new guy just happens to be a cop, so he can go chasing after him. So what is it about romance novels that get to some of us women? At least the modern ones have strong female characters, but things do work out better than they usually do in life. I guess we just need some of that fantasy life.
(finished July 24)

No comments: