Friday, September 30, 2005

Harry Potter and Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Again, to understand the latest Harry Potter book, I felt I had to revisit the previous one. Umbridge is the most evil character Rowling has created. Every time Umbridge speaks or is around, I get a creepy feeling. She knows how to destroy students like no one else. I was a bit more tolerant of Harry’s anger this time around, because he is not only going through adolescence, he really does have a lot of things to deal with. His relationship with Cho is especially realistic - he really doesn’t know what to say to her and doesn’t understand what she wants. Surprisingly Hermoine is the understanding one - at least in this case. Her relationship with Ron is very bumpy. Again, I love all the details - the DA group and how they really learn to do spells which they actually get to use against adults in the final huge battle; Hagrid and his relation with the giants, his brother and Madame Maxime. I think I will end up listening to this again with my son soon, but there is so much here, that I don’t mind.
(listened to all 17 tapes twice! July & August)

No comments: