Friday, September 30, 2005

The Cat Who Walks Through Walls: a Comedy of Manners by Robert Heinlein (1985)

It’s been a long time since I’ve read any Heinlein, and since this was one of the books with a funny title I have students find in the library, I thought I’d read it. Basically it was a fun adventure story, where the main character Richard ends up running through numerous space stations, the moon and planets with his new wife Gwen/Hazel. I found a lot of things amusing and interesting in this futuristic tale. I had forgotten about his open sexuality mindset. But then it got very confusing with numerous time lines and the convoluted extended family over time and space of Lazarus Long. I vaguely remember Lazarus from Heinlein’s other books. Though I found the last third of the book confusing and tedious, overall it was still fun and worth reading. I enjoyed Heinlein’s explanation of religion, God and beliefs. A short excerpt: "For many centuries religion held sway as the explanation of the universe … the details … differed wildly but were essentially the same: Somewhere ... there was an old man in a nightshirt who knew everything and was all powerful…and could be bribed."

No comments: