Monday, April 25, 2011

The Exception by Christian Jungersen (2004, trans. 2006)

This was one of the Danish novels suggested to me at AABS. I am returning it to the library, but I never did finish it (got to 323 of 500 pages). It has been a while, so I had to look up the plot summary. It was about four women at Copenhagen’s Danish Center for Information on Genocide, who were very nasty towards each other, especially the librarian, Anne-Lise. They gather information on genocide around the world, publish articles, some of which are included in the book. Evil and its causes has fascinated me as a topic, but I don't recall what I thought of the essays. I know I couldn't stand the women trying to drive Anne Lise insane, so I just stopped reading. (And as I have recently noted, I can depend on most American books to end fairly well, but no so European ones.) Ah well, there are plenty of books out there to try.

No comments: