Sunday, May 08, 2011

Paris Between the Wars by Carol Mann (1996)

I've been fascinated by Paris since visiting it and reading The Paris Wife. This book provided a great overview of what Paris was like between the two world wars, why it was so appealing to artists of all types. I love the abundance of photos, so I could visualize the place, the art deco, etc. My favorite photo was of two women dancers in shrimp costumes. Even though the photo was black and white, I could just image the bright colors. The most powerful photo was of the 1937 World's Fair, where Germany and the Soviet Union were posturing and squaring off against each other with massive pavilions that dwarfed everything around them, except for the Eiffel Tower. I must have been a strange and tense time. They also provided work for artists in hard economic times. World's Fairs were also an important event in the Tiffany book I read recently. My parents took me to the one in New York in 1964-65 numerous times, and Expo 67 in Montreal.

No comments: