Friday, July 02, 2010

The Day I Swapped my Dad for Two Goldfish by Neil Gaiman (2001)

Just watched a video clip of Neil Gaiman accepting the Carnegie medal for his Graveyard Book, which I have read, So I thought I would take a look at some of his other books, starting with picture books. This has his wonderful sense of humor and attention to detail. I liked that in his video he had started the Graveyard Book 25 years ago, while watching his todler ride around a graveyard on his tricycle. But he didn't complete the book then, because he didn't have enough experience as a parent. You can see he has plenty of experience as a parent in this book, where a boy swaps his newspaper reading dad for two goldfish. When his mom makes him get back his dad, we get to see many childhoods. Great illustrations by Dave McKean. Wonder who Queen of Malanesia is? Saw her mentioned in one of the other books too.

No comments: