Friday, September 05, 2008

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb (2005)

Suggested by an old college friend in Vermont, this book has a totally new take on the metaphysical world of death and ghosts. Helen died over a hundred years ago, but didn't end up in heaven or hell, but continues an existence of sorts by hanging out close to particular live beings. And then she meets James, who is like her, but in a body - a body deserted by a young drug addict. Wonderful to watch them trying to communicate.

Though I have no set view of life after death, I do have a sense of souls, and think reincarnation could be an explanation why certain things happen to us. Though I don't believe in ghosts as such, I do believe our departed loved ones can be with us, watching over us. My parents used to dream of departed friends and relatives all the time. I don't, but I have a sense of my mother being with me at times. (She would have been 83 tomorrow, if she had lived.) Maybe it is my own thought patterns evoking a sense of her, but whatever it is, there is some power to it. That is why this story doesn't bother my reasoning, as vampire stories do - it makes more sense to me. The concept that people could be so beaten by their lives, that their souls choose to desert their bodies seems more heart-wrenchingly sad than improbable. So a wonderfully unique book. I am glad such good books are being written for young adults.

No comments: