Wednesday, December 12, 2007

An Orange for Frankie by Patricia Polacco (2004)

I haven't picked up any children's books lately, and with the Christmas season I saw this book from one of my favorite children's book authors and bought it - otherwise my kid book collection is getting stagnant. This is another one of Patricia Polacco's wonderful poignant historical stories about one of her ancestors (lucky she has a huge family). Set in Michigan, the father takes the horse and buggy to Lansing to pick up oranges, while everyone else gets ready for Christmas. They live at a railroad stop, feed the hobos traveling on the train, go to the woods for the tree, and get ready for Christmas in the old fashioned big family way. I have always loved Polocco's stories and her illustrations. She pulls you into the story with her animated characters of all ages. Makes me a bit wistful...

No comments: