Thursday, December 27, 2007

Free Food for Millionaires by Min Jin Lee (2007)

Another book I had missed entering into my blog. I believe it was the title that grabbed me - and it refers to the free lunches provided to wealthy at an investment bank. I liked this glimpse into the Korean American culture - the hard working parents putting their bright daughter through Princeton, but she can never find satisfaction, and is obsessed with clothes and accessories, which I just can't relate to. The high pressure business world has always repulsed me, but I understand that it is very attractive to numerous emigrant groups. Latvians went more for doctors and lawyers, though we have our share of business men. It was interesting to read about the Korean church and community - with some similarities to Latvians. Not a great read, but again I learned about one more ethnic group. I found a review on Amazon from a Korean American, who felt that too many negative stereotypes were brought out in the book, but that is the way with writers, the negative aspects of our lives are often more interesting to describe.

No comments: