Saturday, January 28, 2006

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

I listened to an abridged version of this Oprah Book Club book. This was the strange tale of a girl who landed in a series of foster homes when her mom was jailed for murder. Though outwardly very beautiful Scandinavian, a non-conformist poet, this mother was one of the creapiest characters I've read about in a long time. I felt for the daughter, trying to learn to love and trust, trying to work on her art. For a moment two of my books converged. On the same day I listened about the main character of this book, Astrid, ending up in Berlin, and read that the narrator of Middlesex lives in Berlin for a while, both running away from their families, their pasts. I want to see the movie now, and I did look up the poisonous flower white oleander to see if I had ever seen it out in California - maybe.
(Completed early January)

No comments: