Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Wonderful, incrdible book I want to reread right away, but I have others waiting. It was suggested by my friends Liene and Inta. This book is about so much, that this short description can't do it justice. The narrator is a hermaphrodite, but we only learn the details about that in the last section of the book. He traces his history back to his Greek grandparents escaping from a Greek settlement in Turkey in 1922. Then there is a facinating story about the Greeks settling in the Detroit area, the 1967 riots (I remember the ones in Newark), the birth of Calliope, the narrator, who discovers is raised as a girl, but at 14 finds out she is really Cal, a male, mostly. S/he grows up in my times, so many of the details I remember myself. There was even something I was quite sure had not yet happened at the date mentioned, but the story swept me along and I forgot about it. There was also a great analysis of the 70's where men and women became very similar - an age and sentiment I relate to. The author explains that really didn't go anywhere, and the differences are back again. Yup, having a male child has changed my mind on these things too.
(Finished reading 1/29/06)

No comments: