Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Toulouse-Lautrec: The Moulin Rouge and the City of Light by Robert Burleigh

One of the many books I picked up at ALA and had signed, this is a children’s book about the artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. I like the way today’s children’s authors deal with non-fiction subjects, and though I know of Toulouse-Lautrec and know some of his work, I didn’t really know his story. Burleigh tells the story simply and colorfully with lots of photos and images from Lautrec’s art. He describes Paris in the late 1800’s especially the music halls and Moulin Rouge (the Red Mill) in particular. He talks about the advertising posters, an art form for which Lautrec was known and the people in Lautrec’s work. I liked the story of the painting At the Moulin Rouge, where someone cut a piece of the painting off at some point, not liking an eerie face on the side, but luckily they found the strip and sewed it back on. I admire the ability to condense a story in this way to basics while still being informative and engaging.
(finished reading June 27)

No comments: