Sunday, May 08, 2016

Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella (2013)

I like Sophie Kinsella's sense of humor, though I usually have a hard time in the beginning, as the inner conversation by the women drives me crazy, though I know it is the way many of us think, but this was often too much overthinking and misunderstanding.

Lottie is convinced her boyfriend Richard is going to propose to her when he hints at having a big question to ask her at a fancy restaurant. When he doesn't, she goes into a tailspin, and when Ben, a boyfriend from her youth shows up, they decide to get married. Lottie's sister Fliss feels this will be a big mistake and tries to stop the wedding, but they get married at the courthouse and take off for Greece, to go back to a place they spent a wonderful summer together. Fliss then tries her best to prevent them from consummating the marriage by connections with the hotel manager (she runs a magazine that reviews hotels) and other antics, so the marriage could be annuled. Fliss is also dealing with a divorce from her husband, and tries to coordinate her efforts with Ben's manager, who needs Ben to focus on the business.

One pearl of wisdom I got out of this, when the old resort owner laments about people coming back to a place where they had a good time as youth. He thinks people should not go back, leave it as a wonderful memory, as it is bound to disappoint. I think he is right in many instances, though I go back to favorite place and make new memories.

(I think I have this written up somewhere right after I read it, so I will leave it short.)

No comments: