Sunday, May 08, 2016

Arsenic and Old Books by Miranda James (2015)

A Cat in the Stacks Mystery. Picked this up at an airport, when I left my reading book at home, finished it on another plane trip.

So, first of all, I love the fact that our amateur sleuth is a librarian and that at least this story deals with mysteries about two families in Athena, MS found in some old diaries. The diaries are donated to the college by the mayor, but two women seem hell-bent to get their hands on them. Marie Steverton is an obnoxious history professor who is desperate to get tenure. The other a journalist who want to help her fiance get elected. The diaries disappear, then reappear, then a fifth is found, then there is a suspicious death.

In the middle is Charles Harris, who works in the archives with his side-kick Diesel, a Maine Coon cat, who appears to understand everything Harris says. Though I am a cat person, I thought the narrative was too focused on the cat at times. But then after the novel there was a short story on how Diesel came into Harris' life, so OK, I'll give him the cat obsession - I know they can be persistent. The story is also full of other colorful supporting characters that must have evolved over the series. Definite possibility for future reading.

No comments: