Tuesday, March 01, 2016

The Absent One by Jussi Adler-Olsen (2008)

I wanted to read one more of Adler-Olsen's books as it is set in Denmark and I was going to be visiting Denmark, but I am not sure I will go for any more. This was the second Department Q book and as much as I really like detective Carl Morck and his side-kick Assad, and their new obnoxious, but efficient assistant Rose, Adler-Olsen just comes up with the most warped evil people I've ever read about. I guess it is in the vein of Stieg Larsson, but I was creeped out a lot. Though the author manages to get me liking Kimmy - a deranged wealthy young woman living on the streets, but part of a boarding school clique that got into violence after watching Clockwork Orange - a cult film in my day, but one I have never wanted to see again after that first time. Carl and his Department Q work on cold cases and the one that just appears on their desk is about a brother and sister being killed years ago. There was a man who confessed the crime some years later, so technically Carl was not supposed to work this case, but something is off, and as he starts exploring this, he finds connections to other violent events and a boarding school gang. I never understood boarding schools - how can you send off your young kid away from the family? It was always the threat of nasty step-mothers-to-be to kid heroes in other books and movies. Denmark seems to be such a happy, peaceful country - I hope it doesn't have these nasty rich folks running around. There was also a bit of insight into street people. Not sure how much Denmark takes care of these, I guess I did not pay attention to the few I did see in Copenhagen. I did notice beggars more in Hamburg, where at least a couple had dogs with them and seemed very attached to those creatures - something to love, making the beggar happier and less threatening to those walking by.

No comments: