Saturday, December 27, 2014

Island of a Thousand Mirrors by Nayomi Numaweera (2012)

Learned about another corner of the world - Sri Lanka. I am sorry to say that though I believe I was aware of strife on this large island off the southeast coast of India at one point, if someone had asked me about Sri Lanka before I read this book, I couldn't have said anything about it. This covers the civil war between the Sinhalese and Tamils 1983-2009. The narrator tells of her family's life before the war, the hardships and terror during the war that made it impossible for her family to stay and ending up in the U.S. with all the difficulties of immigrant life. Other people's lives are shown in the book, including one woman who is forced to join the Tamil Tigers and is trained to be a suicide bomber.Wonderfully written.

No comments: