Monday, April 22, 2013

End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (2012)

Will Schwalbe was a book publisher when his mother Mary Anne was diagnosed
with pancreatic cancer. On a simplistic level, the book is about the time they spent together before she died, and since they both loved books, they read books together and discussed them. But it is much more.

First of all it is a glorious and clever tribute to his mother, who was such an amazing person with a wide range of interests and careers - theater, Director of Admissions at Harvard and Radcliffe, counselor, refugee camp worker, founder of the Women's Refugee Commission, raised a family with three kids, traveled a lot, loved art, music, theater, and of course- books.

Secondly, it was a wonderful lesson in  how to die gracefully and how family and friends can support someone at the last stages of their life. I felt personal regrets, as I did not find a way to talk to my mother in the last nine months of her life, as she too battled pancreatic cancer. We never were good at discussing problems as a family, and I am afraid she died without some important things being said.

Only thirdly this was a great book lover's book - listing dozens of books the two of them read over a two year period, mentioning many more. I now have a lengthy list of books to read, with abstracts of sorts and a commentary which is beyond your normal book review. I was relieved that I had read at least some of them, vindicated for loving books like Stieg Larsson's The Girl With a Dragon Tatoo. There was commentary on the importance and value of reading, the many forms of reading available today, the social aspect of reading, and much more. The books gave Will and his mother something to talk about during the long waiting periods at the doctor's, in the chemo treatment room, and elsewhere. They also gave them the opportunity to talk through things like dying, family, world problems, solutions, important issues in life, that you might not just start talking about. I really wish I had this way of connecting with my son, and I should try to find someone to discuss books with, as you get so much more out of it, when you do so.

I don't recall the last time I read a book and thought to myself: "I wish I knew this author or person in a book personally." I really liked Will and Mary Anne Schwalbe. At least I have gotten to share their lives through this book.

No comments: