Friday, May 28, 2010

Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Anne Kidd Taylor (2009)

Subtitle: A Mother-Daughter Story. Since I loved Sue Monk Kidd's A Secret Life of Bees and The Mermaid's Tale, I picked this up, which turns out to be a highly introspective non-fiction book by Sue Monk Kidd and her daughter. Sue is going through menopause (I can relate) and thinking about writing a novel instead of just non-fiction. Ann has just graduated from college, hasn't been accepted in the Antiquities grad program, and is searching for herself at that stage. They take a series of trips together to Greece and France, both journaling along the way, and then some years later they compiled this mother-daughter story. Very compelling, very my kind of spiritual, and as a bonus we learn about where she got the ideas for A Secret Life of Bees

I was listening to this book and often realized that this kind of deep contemplation was not suited to short stints on the road. This is a book I will have to reread by actually holding it in my hands. But I also need to purchase a copy and send it to a friend in Latvia.

No comments: