Saturday, May 01, 2010

Theatre by W. Somerset Maugham (1937)

Given to me by my good friend Sniedze, written by one of my aunt's favorite authors. I think the only other thing I have read by Maugham was Razor's Edge. Since I love theater, I enjoy reading about it too. Julia is an aging actress that is very good at observing people and then bringing those observations to the stage. The only problem is, that she continues various roles in her life off stage and has lost a sense of who she really is. Her husband Michael, turns out to be a better manager than actor and manages the theater. Julia takes on a young lover, but this is all just the outer trappings. Maugham is brilliant in showing us the inner thoughts and lives of these people - mostly Julia. Will have to read more Maugham.

No comments: