Friday, October 26, 2007

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler (2007)

I am not exactly a Jane Austen fan, so I didn't get all the Austen references, but I did enjoy this book. I really like books that put someone from today's world into a historical setting. This one was a modern time-travel novel, not science fiction. Courtney from LA, who has just broken up with her fiance, wakes up as Jane Mansfield in 19th century England. I loved her descriptions of all of the sensations she feels - the smells - of unwashed folks, but also the taste and smells of great food - which she can now eat in this new body. She has to learn to use a chamber pot, and has poor servants carry water up to her room for frequent baths. Then she has to learn to talk and follow all the crazy social rules and participate in balls and other social gatherings. Jane's mother is trying to set her up with Charles Edgeworth - a rich, good looking guy. This is where it got like a romance novel and she went through the same mental machinations she was having back home, and Jane Austen women have always had. I didn't understand why Courtney didn't think about what Jane would want and I have a hard time with all the thoughts about women not being worth anything without a man. But other than that, it was great fun.

No comments: