Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Collectors by David Baldacci (2006)

I picked this up in the grocery, because I recognized the Library of Congress main reading room on the cover - and sure enough, the first murder occurs in the library. I loved all the details about the Rare Book reading room, their vault, how they send books to be repaired, specific rare editions, the eccentric rare book dealer, etc. Plus I was looking for something entertaining to take my mind off my heavy workload at this time of year. I used to like spy thrillers and I got into this one. I like the use of all the new technology. I am wondering whether old spy thrillers would seem quaint, without the Internet, cell phones, and more. As often is the case in these thriller novels, we start out with a set of disparate characters, each in their own dramatic event - Roger Seagraves, the killer; Anabelle and her various con men, Caleb Shaw, the Library of Congress employee, who is friends with Oliver Stone the ex-spy (funny alias for a number of reasons, but I kept visualizing him as the movie director), Reuben and Milton. These four not so young gentlemen are the Camel Club, which I now understand figure in other Baldacci books. Unfortunately there are quite a few deaths along the way, but then we see it on TV too. I'll have try out a few more of Baldacci's books.

No comments: