Saturday, June 30, 2007

London Calling by Edward Bloor (2006)

This was a wonderful surprise of a book - a young adult book I got hoping my son would be willing to listen to a book again on our last trip, but the iPod ruled. London Calling had just the right combination of today's teen angst, a well researched historical period, and a bit of magic. Martin doesn't get along with many of his classmates in a religious prep school. His grandmother leaves him an old radio, when she dies, and through the radio he connects with London of 1940. I now realize that I never did understand what the London Blitz was all about, but through Martin's time travel, I got a clear image of life in London at that time - and how brave the English really were to not give in to Hitler while being constantly bombed. Martin gets to see both his grandfather, and the grandfather of his arch enemy in their youth. These family "heroes" aren't always so heroic. I like it when a historical figure gets personalized beyond official accomplishments. Even though these are fictional historical figures, the same idea applies, since that kind of information is rarely recorded.

The thing that thrilled the librarian in me was how Martin goes about researching and verifying the things he has seen in the past. He uses the Internet, then his sister has access to in depth databases through her work at an encyclopedia publisher (how cool is that?), and he finds some primary sources - a lady with photos, and eventually letters and diaries, that change how certain people and a period in history will be recorded. Martin even tracks someone from that time period down to interview.

One more piece of my world view jig saw puzzle is in place. I've recommended this book to my children's lit. colleague.

No comments: