Saturday, June 30, 2007

Heckuva Job, Bushie! by G.B. Trudeau (2006)

I hadn't bought or read a Doonesbury book for ages. I have followed the comic strip since college, over 30 years. Recently it is something in my "fun"column on my computer, and I check it almost every day. I have really liked Trudeau's comments on the war and its consequences, so I thought it was important to buy this particular book, which covers the strips from 2005-2006, including Alex choosing a college. I remember Cornell getting into the spirit and sending the fictional character an application packet. I feel BD's returning home as an amputee especially moving. I have just reconnected with an old friend JB, who was the first Vietnam vet I knew. Lasting effects... And then there is Duke returning to the states - to New Orleans, to milk the post Katrina money. Or Zonker working in a restaurant, where his goal is to push calories. Trudeau has this amazing way of zoning in on the important issues of our day, and he has such a wonderful cast of characters - and now their kids - to illustrate these issues.

No comments: