Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner

I don't believe I read another economics book, but with the subheading "a rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything ", I was intrigued. Dubner is a journalist, that helps Levitt pull together many of his findings and presents them in a very understandable manner. After a conference this past week, where I was sometimes lost in statistical talk, I found myself amazed at what can be learned from smartly applied statistics. Well this book was all about looking at data and teasing out the real reasons behind certain phenomena. The one that I can't get out of my mind is the fact that since abortion was legalized, and the appropriate time has passed since those unwanted babies would have grown to teenagerhood, the crime rate has dropped drastically, at a rate that cannot be explained by the usual - improved policing methods, economic upswing, etc.
Finished listening to 4/1/06.

No comments: