Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Archangel by Sharon Shinn

I love this author! I read a couple of her young adult books, but this was the first adult fantasy book I've read. Shinn has created a totally new world with humans and angels. Angels seem to be human like, but they have huge wings with which they can fly and their blood runs hotter, so they can take the cold in the high reaches of the atmosphere. They are supposed to mate with humans. The angels are responsible for communicating with Jovah on behalf of the people through singing. Every 20 years a new Archangel is appointed, and he (or she) has to have Jovah's chosen partner to sing with him/her once a year at the Gloria or the god will be angered and destroy their world. Gabriel is the up and coming Archangel, who has been reluctant to find his woman, and once he finds out it is Rachel, he can't find her, and once he finds her, they don't get along. There is a corrupt Archangel to be replaced, slavery to be erased, and other inequities to be righted. I can't explain why this book was so intriguing to me, but there are more in this series, which I will just have to buy.
(Read over spring break, finished 4/10/06)

No comments: