Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The March by E.L. Doctrow

This is one I picked up because of reviews. I have not read anything by Doctrow, but am interested in novels about the Civil War that could help me understand it better. This novel followed Sherman's path through Georgia and the Carolinas in the last few months of the war. It told stories of slaves (I didn't know they followed the northern army), a Southern white woman, various soldiers from both sides, a doctor, and gave a good descriptions of the land and cities on the way. I was fascinated by the medical aspect of the war and wondered what innovations were really created during that war. It reminded me of the TV show Mash and the medical innovations made by those doctors in Korea. My favorite character was a slave girl that looked white (her father was a white), who falls in love with a white northern soldier.
(listened to in November, 2005)

No comments: