Wednesday, November 30, 2005

First Wives Club by Olivia Goldsmith

Since I liked the movie years ago, I thought I'd enjoy the book, purchased cheaply at a rummage sale, and I did. Since infidelity seems to be a theme coursing through the lives around me this year, this book seemed appropriate. It is about the revenge three women take on their husbands and the husband of their deceased friend, after the husbands have taken up with younger women. I watched the movie again after reading the book, and though it is funny, the actresses wonderful, the book has a lot more to say about what is going on in everyone's minds. In the movie the women make the husbands support a crisis center, but in the book they really ruin all the men. I'm not thrilled that they were so upper class, but there was realistic angst in the men about overspending to live up to expectations, creating problems.
(finished reading in October, 2005)

No comments: