Thursday, June 16, 2005

Winner by David Baldacci

This mystery was recommended by Alison at Talking Book World (TBW) and it was good – a fairly unique plot of a poor Georgia girl who is chosen by a man to be part of his scheme to fix the lottery. She is desperate with a baby and a drug dealing boyfriend, so she takes him up on it, but leaves a grisley scene at her trailer – a dead boyfriend and another drug dealer, who attacked her. So once she wins the lottery, she has to leave the country and is told to never come back. After 10 years she comes back, but various people are on to her. Anyway… though I had to finish the book because it had me hooked, I can’t say that I really liked the constant feeling of unease while listening. It seemed that something nasty was going to happen at any given moment. I just kept reminding myself that the heroine is going to come through this OK. I liked Baldacci’s characterization of Lou Ann, her friend Charlie, and the bad guy Jackson. They were each outcasts in their own way. I wasn’t sure how they managed to live without friends as they did.

No comments: