Thursday, June 16, 2005

My Life by Bill Clinton

I wish this taped book had not been unabridged, as I would have really liked to hear all of it, but something was better than nothing. I loved Clinton as a president, with all his foibles, or even because of them, and I really enjoyed hearing him retell his life. His mother was really interesting, maybe I need to read her book. (Now I’m thinking, if Ansis becomes famous, will all of my life be unearthed?) I felt reaffirmed in my support of him – he was an intelligent, caring president, with a flair for politics and an understanding of the way the world works. I felt Clinton’s frustration and was appalled at the media coverage of his presidency, starting with the Republican inspired focus on gays in the military within the first week of office to take attention from his work on the economy. Almost everything he did was overshadowed by bogus accusations about Whitewater or whatever. And Kenneth Starr just seems outright evil. All I can say is I hope that we have more strong, moderate Democrats like Clinton out there (and I’m sure Hillary is one) that can keep the ultra conservative right at bay. I think I will read the whole thing when it comes out in paperback, because a brief review mentioned a lot of details I missed in the abridged version. (Finshed listening to Jan. 22, 2005)

No comments: