Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Mark of the Golden Dragon by L.A. Meyer (2011)

One more Jackie Faber adventure that starts in the orient where she gets swept off her boat in a major storm, everyone presumes her dead, but of course she survives with Ravi, her Indian boy. They end up in Burma, save a village from some nasty men, head off to Rangoon, where she lands in the house of Chopstick Charlie - Chan-Le. He is very wealthy and Jackie convinces him to let her bring some of his riches to the British Museum, where she hopes to gain a pardon. Her Jamie loses it when he thinks her dead and goes on a rampage.

I would say I learned less of history from this book, but still enjoyed her adventures. Jackie always picks up new skills in each adventure, but the only new skill I think she adopted here was belly dancing - which came in handy. Maybe she learned some of the oriental instruments. I did not quite understand why she kept up the hair style from her Chinese adventure of a shorn head and just a pigtail. It was great for shock value, but once in England it made no sense to me. I have to admit I think I like Lord Richard Allen the best of all her beaus. As she prances around the world, her crowd of friends (and a few enemies) grows.

No comments: