Wednesday, April 17, 2019

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (1962)

I read this book when I was young, maybe high school, and really liked it. After I saw the movie, I wanted to reread the book, but it has taken me some time, so now I have to go see the movie again. I just remember Oprah being one of the trio of spirits or witches.

The book no longer seems so amazing, but realizing that it was written over 50 years ago, and all the fantasy books I have read since that built on the foundations that LÄ’ngle established, yea it is pretty cool. 

Meg lives with her scientist mother and younger brother Charles Wallace. Their astrophysicist father has been missing for a few years and they don't know if he will be coming back. Charles Wallace discovers Mrs. Whatsit in the woods behind their house. Calvin, an older boy from school is drawn to join them, and with the help of Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs Who and Mrs. Which, they go off into other worlds to find and rescue their father. Calvin and Charles Wallace each have their strengths, but it is Meg that has to keep everyone together.

No comments: