Saturday, May 24, 2014

Happy Birthday by Danielle Steel (2011)

When I briefly owned a small town bookstore, I read a book or two by Dannielle Steel, so I would understand what type of romance writer she was. You don't want to recommend an edgy book to a customer who likes the type of romances that end with the first kiss. I seem to remember Steel being edgy outside my comfort zone. I just grabbed this off the reminder table, though I found I had read one of her books back in 2006 that I disliked. Ah well, this one spoke to me.

The book starts out with three people having birthdays. Martha Stewart type celebrity Valerie is turning 60, Former NFL/Superbowl football star, now sportscaster, Jack is turning 50 and Valerie's daughter and restaurant owner April turns 30. Since I will be having a 60th birthday next year, I think I too am feeling like this really makes me old and wonder what it will mean for me. I don't mind being my age, unlike Valerie, but still it makes me think. I can't say I relate to Jack, and don't think I know anyone like him, who keeps going out with much younger women to feel younger himself, but I do know of enough men that have left the wives that were their own age to go with younger ones. Luckily Jack makes friends with Valerie and finds that he actually likes hanging out with someone who is as successful as himself, and has a wide range of interests.

But the one that hit home the most was April. She works hard, is independent and ends up pregnant from a one night stand. She decides to tell the guy, but not ask him to be involved. He has never wanted children, so he freaks out and turns his back. I think Steel got the thinking pattern of April right, at least I remember those kinds of thoughts.

Doesn't mean I will pick up any more Steele, but this was OK.

No comments: