Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Out of Iraq by Sybella Wilkes (2010)

Subtitle: Refugees' Stories in Words, Painting and Music.

One of the children's books I took out from the library on Iraq. The forward is by Angelina Jolie, whose work I am respecting more and more. The author, Sybella Wilkes has been working with Iraqi refugees in Syria through the UN Refugee Agency. She bringing forth these stories of mostly young people who were forced to flee their homes and seek refuge in Syria.

The stories themselves are heart wrenching, but I also love the illustrations provided by the children. I don't know if they are taught to draw in a certain way, but I kept feeling there was a style unlike most kid drawings. Then I realized what was different was that everyone was totally colored in. Looked like it could be using regular poster paint, and every background, wall, floor, grass, sky is totally covered in paint. Paintings of tanks and soldiers - meant this is what they really saw. Families packing to go  - another reality.

All of these stories continue to fill in my mosaic of understanding about Iraq, its people, religion, history. I learned of other religious groups that have been pushed out - mostly Christians and Sabean Mandeans, a peaceful religion I had never heard of.

No comments: