Sunday, October 13, 2013

Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts (2013)

I thought it was time for another Nora Roberts book, and found myself in another mystery. Eli Landon found his wife dead almost a year ago, and has been fighting off accusations that he is the killer, but there is not enough evidence. He decides to get away for a while at Bluff House, his family home on Whiskey Beach a couple of hours north of Boston. His grandmother had a nasty fall and is recuperating in the city, so he will come and live in the house for a while. The house is being maintained by Abra Walsh, who has also been instructed by grandma to watch out for Eli and nudge him back to health. I don't quite remember a character like Abra in Roberts' books.She has left the corporate world behind and instead cleans houses, instructs yoga classes, does massage, makes jewelry, smudges bad energy from homes - all so new agey. I also think this is the first time I have seen massage (therapeutic) used, which can lead to other things between consenting adults. I did like the way Eli and Abra healed each other. The break-ins to Bluff House, another murder, lost family treasure, those of course add to the suspense of the story. Plus it is true that going through traumas lets people see each other in a different light and can bring them together. I also liked the fact that they were going though old family papers in the attic - very similar to my recently finished Orphan Train book.

No comments: