Monday, January 07, 2013

Nozagts oranžs divritenis - Mika Kaerenens (2011)

I knew I had read more books while I was in Latvia- the adult books I recorded, but I forgot about the kids books that I read to see if there is anything I thought was appropriate for our Latvian schools.

Nozagts oranžs divritenis just sounded like a good title - An orange bicycle has been stolen. It has been translated from Estonian, which also makes it interesting, as some of the names have been Latvianized, but other are Estonian in nature. This is a chapter book meant for older grade school kids, as the characters are all kids, trying to solve the mystery of the stolen bike. Not the greatest story, but better than the old stories of living out in the countryside. I like the map of Soup Village with funny street names. 

The author is actually a Finn, who has moved to Estonia to live. This book has been put on as a play. It would be interesting to see the script, but I am sure it is not in Latvian or English. Not that I am doing any more plays, but always thinking along those lines.

No comments: