Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts (2011)

I have to say this is one of the best Nora Roberts books I have read in a long time. She looks at a profession - smoke jumpers - that I was not aware of. These are the people that put out forest fires by jumping out of planes to get quickly right to the fire. A very dangerous and physically demanding job. I liked the camraderie in the group, and the details of the job. Of course this is a romance, so we have our love story between the main character - Rowan Tripp, a daughter of a smoke jumper and one of a few women on the team, and Gil Curry, a rookie smoke jumper who is fast on his feet, confident, comes from a successful family business, but is drawn to put our fires. (I am not sure why he started working as a fireman was ever addressed, but that is a small detail.) I liked the pace of this romance, as Rowan has a rule about not dating those she works with, plus she has trust issues, which I thought were handled well. But my favorite part of this romance was that there was middle-aged romance and intimacy - Rowan's father finds love too, and actually "gets some" before the young couple get together. Adding a mystery story-line always helps too. The story starts with Jim, one of the smoke jumpers making a mistake that costs his life. But the following summer his girlfriend's body is found, so there are cops milling about investigating. Good simple read.

No comments: