Thursday, January 19, 2012

Night Embrace by Sherrilyn Kenyon (2003)

Tried this paranormal romance from the Dark Hunter series and this will be the last one I read. I almost didn't complete it, but it never was the right time to stop at the audio store to switch it out, so I made it to the end. Talon was a Celtic warrior, who sold his soul for revenge when all of those he loved were destroyed, so he became a dark hunter who hunts demons. 1500 years later he is in New Orleans, where he meets Sunshine, a free spirited artist, who is the key to breaking his spell from the past. I liked the New Orleans setting, which got into favorite haunts of the city, but also took us out to the bayou.

But I am not fond of vampires, and though Talon and his ilk were not vampires, they were similar creatures of the night that I don't much care for. I did not like the whole dark hunter - demon world. I don't mind some magic, witches that may have more than the Wiccan connection to the earth, but this didn't make any sense to me. And then the old gods interfering. I guess the only interesting premise of this book is that if gods (Greek, Roman, Celtic, etc.) are immortal, then they should still be around today, even though no one really worships them anymore. If they were misbehaved way back when, then it is not surprising that they continue to misbehave and play games with humans.

I also have to say that I didn't care for the abundance and repetition of sex scenes. Maybe it just didn't work for me listening to this book in the car, but there were just too many times I said, "Oh, not again!" I didn't think they were written well either. Maybe it is just considered female erotica. Nora Roberts does it better - she paces it well and leaves a bit to your imagination.

No comments: