Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead (2010)

I try to make sure I have read the latest Caldecott Medal winners, so this is the latest one. My first reaction was that it had such an old fashion look and feel, like picture books from my childhood - the pencil drawings with minimal color, the old fashion wood stove in the kitchen. An elderly man getting dressed for work in the zoo. The first thing that caught my eye was his little blue house squeezed between large apartment buildings. And then it started getting whimsical, as Amos does unusual things with his animal friends at the zoo, like racing with the tortoise. But when Amos got sick, I just had to start smiling, until there was a broad grin on my face at the end of the book. Well deserved award.

No comments: