Sunday, July 03, 2011

Happy Ever After by Nora Roberts (2010)

Though I wasn't thrilled with this series, just had to finish it with the fourth friend Parker, the organizer brains behind Vows, the wedding planning and hosting company and her unlikely beau Malcolm, the mechanic. But somehow it worked, they worked. When I saw the organized way she worked I realized I would not necessarily want to be her friend, definitely would not want to work for her, but would hire her to organize something that needed to be organized perfectly - but not necessarily a wedding. I don't like things that are timed perfectly, I like free flow, and definitely would not want to be herded out because the time was up. I am not much into fashion, but do see the point of helping a woman find the wedding dress in which she looks the best. I do like Parker's commitment to her friends, and her clients, her fast thinking and problem solving, and not just technical details, but things like keeping two feuding exes separated during an event. Or seeing the sorrow in a father's eyes, because his wife is no longer alive to see their daughter's wedding - and taking time to talk to him and make him ready to appreciate the day.

And then Roberts makes Malcolm the former stunt man and wildman attracted to this rich, high-class gal, but gives him a heart of gold - good with kids, helps one of his employees get going on an education, very straighforward, but as a guy has a hard time sharing feelings. And then how in the world did he know what shoes to buy Parker? In Roberts' world these things happen.

I wish this fantasy quartet all the best. Now that they all are getting married, I am trying to imagine all the fancy weddings with a possie of their kids running around. Of course they will have a special playground/room/whatever for those kids. I still don't see where they fit in their social obligations - attend other parties, benefits, fundraisers, but I guess the author knows best not to dilute a book.

No comments: