Saturday, April 10, 2010

Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz (2004)

I don't think I have ever read anything by Koontz, though the name is familiar. I picked this book up, because it came up randomly when I was searching for books on life expectancy for a patron. It was definitely engaging. I guess Koontz is known for suspense or even horror fiction, which I tend to avoid (like Stephen King).

On the day Jimmy Tock is born, his grandfather dies first predicting Jimmy's time of birth, length, weight, slight deformity and five perilous dates in his life. At the same time a circus clown loses his wife in childbirth and goes on a killing spree. The most time is spent on the first perilous date. The only thing I didn't understand is why Jimmy left the house on that day at all, but he ends up in the library, where the librarian has been killed and a psychopath and his buddies are preparing to blow up the building. A woman and Jimmy end up being hostages and find they have a lot in common throughout the ordeal.

I don't plan on reading any more Koontz, but this was good. I liked the characters, they were well developed, and I liked the power of family and love. I don't know why I like this kind of suspense less than the Baldacci spy/adventure stories or JD Robb mysteries.

No comments: