Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan (2005)

First in a series about Percy Jackson & the Olympians. A little young, but entertaining fantasy where this kid Percy (full name Perseus) is a half-blood - half human, half god. There's a camp for these half-bloods, because those old Greek and Roman gods are still at it, creating kids with mortals. I remember loving Greek mythology back in middle school, but I have to admit I have forgotten a lot of the gods and their traits, especially the smaller gods. So this is an entertaining lesson in mythology, but with a modern day twist. Percy just has weird things happening around him, not realizing that there are gods and their minions out to get him. I love that Mt. Olympus is on the 600th floor of the Empire State building. Don't know if I'll read more of this series, but it was fun.

No comments: