Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Fresco by Sherri Tepper (2000)

Sherri Tepper used to be one of my favorite fantasy writers and this book had been sitting on my "to read" shelf for years. I picked it up since I was wanting to read something different than what I had been reading, and was thoroughly delighted.

Benita is an abused woman in New Mexico that is fighting her way to independence, when she is approached by some aliens to bring a message to someone in charge and given money to do so. She goes to Washington and becomes not only the messenger, but main contact with this alien race. Earth is given a limited time in which to get its shit together, so it can become part of a galactic federation, so it can be protected from invasion by bad aliens. The wonderful part of the book was the things that did get changed on earth - environment, violence, education, hunger - you name it, she solves it all. (I hope I have time to elaborate, but I am very behind on entering books into my blog.)

No comments: