Saturday, June 20, 2009

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (2001)

Looked interesting, so I picked it up for listening, but found I couldn't listen to this because the plot was too complicated - a new fantasy world, supposedly based in a European like territory, mostly France and some England, but all the names were new, the political intrigue a big part of the book, and I just couldn't keep the names straight aurally. Plus I had a hard time listening to the S&M erotic places while driving. Rather than try to explain it myself, I'll quote from the Wikipedia: "In Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy novels, an anguissette is one of Kushiel's chosen mortals, picked to "balance the scales" against those who impart suffering without compassion. Anguisettes feel pain and pleasure as one. Additionally, the wounds of those who bear Kushiel's Dart always heal clean."

I did get hooked into the plot, so I went and bought the book, so I could follow the story of the two children who were trained by nobleman Anafiel Delaunay to observe, listen, speak numerous languages, read plenty of books and become his eyes and ears in the world. Phedre, the Kushiel's Dart is the main character, and I like her spunk if not her amorous liaisons. I like her best friend, a gypsy named Hyacinthe, and her body guard Joscelin. It seemed to recreate historical Europe, and as in all good fantasies of this nature, culminated in a huge battle.

I found that this series has a cult following, with many people puting Phedre's tatoo from the book cover on their backs or bodies. Bonded servants in the book would get paid for their services and with this money they would start paying for pieces of a tatoo that started at the bottom of their spine. When it reached their neck they would be free.

I am not likely to follow up on this series, unless I forget the parts I didn't feel comfortable with.

No comments: